J. Joaquin Fraxedas is founder and president of Fraxedas Mediation Firm, a full-service alternative dispute resolution (ADR) firm.
Mr. Fraxedas was first certified as a Circuit-Civil Mediator by the Florida Supreme Court in 1991, and in the past twenty nine years has mediated more than eight thousand complex multi-party actions in state and federal courts, including but not limited to multi-party commercial, construction, admiralty, aviation, railroad, actions against taxing authorities, employment, telecommunications, environmental, franchise, licensing, intellectual property, medical, legal and other professional malpractice, nursing home, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death, toxic tort, bad faith, class action, multi-district, as well as appellate mediation. Prior to his ADR practice, Mr. Fraxedas’ practice focused on the trial of medical, products liability, and other complex cases.
He has lectured numerous bar and judicial conferences on dispute resolution, including the FJA annual “Workhorse Seminar” for the past eleven years and has served on the faculty of the University of Florida Levin College of Law as an adjunct professor teaching negotiation. He is a Founding Fellow of The American College of Civil Trial Mediators –a national organization of pre-eminent dispute resolution professionals. He is also a Charter Member of The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). He was also appointed and served as an appellate judge in the panels reviewing claims for the BP-Deep Horizon Gulf Oil Spill Claims program.
J.D. University of Florida College of Law, 1975
B.A. University of Florida, 1972
COURT ADMISSIONS AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
Florida Supreme Court (1975)
The Florida Bar (1975)
Orange County Bar Association (1975) (Executive Committee 1992-94)
United States Supreme Court (1981)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (1976)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (1976)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida (1976)
Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator (1991)
Florida Fifth District Court of Appeal Certified Appellate Mediator (2006)
U.S. District Courts, Middle & Southern District of Florida Certified Mediator (1992)
Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators (1995) (Serves on the editorial board). Membership is by invitation only and limited to a small fraction (less than 1%) of practicing mediators in each U.S. state. Voted Distinguished Fellow 2009.
American Board of Trial Advocates (1989) – Charter Member
National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (Advisory Committee) – (2007). Membership in the National Academy is also by invitation only and limited to less than 1% of practicing mediators in each U.S. state.
• Charter Member of the Orlando Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (nominated by the executive committee of American Board of Trial Advocates) (1989)
• The Best Lawyers in America (recognized by peers for inclusion)
• Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (recognized by peers for inclusion)
• Florida Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition (recognized by peers for inclusion)
• Orlando’s Best Lawyers (recognized by peers for inclusion)
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
• Article: Mixed Blessings: The Damage Dilemma in Birth Related Actions, Trial Advocate Quarterly (1989)
• Novel: The Lonely Crossing of Juan Cabrera, St. Martin’s Press, N.Y., (1993)
• Commencement Speaker at Georgia College and State University, (2004)
• Numerous CLE Seminar Presentations to bar and judicial conferences as well as fortune 500 companies and educational institutions (1983 – present).
• Numerous CLE presentations to the “Florida Justice Association Annual Workhorse Seminar”.